Saturday 23 January 2021

Answering Vayra's 10 Setting Questions for Aclas

 Because I was bored at the time! Here's the post with the questions.

PurpleCthulhu of VelvetInks once said a blog-post without pictures is boring. I realised I agree.

    1) What class knows the most martial arts? Are they real martial arts like kung fu, or made up ones like krav maga?

    Cop-out answer, but probably the many flavours of monk. Special shoutout to the God Breaker monks, whose grandmaster once destroyed an island by punching it because he was bored. Their martial arts are lost in the present. All of the martial arts that are avaliable are Kill Six Billion Demons flavoured. 


2) Can I start out having already made a deal with the devil or do I have to do that in game?

    Absolutely. Deals with the Hells are common in various places. They're a requirement to vote in the city of Cinessar in the Underdark. 


3) Do you want me to write an 8-page backstory? Can I write an 8-page backstory, if I want to? If I write something down in it like I'm the timelost princess of the brass city and the daughter of the sun and I commanded legions in the Hell War but was betrayed by my father's vizier but I don't know that, or that I'm elf conan and cooler than everyone else, will that be true?

    Write as much backstory as you want. Considering how ADHD I am, I may forget to address in game, but engagement gives me a big grin. If you write facts like that they might be dubiously true. The Grasp of Reality is Weak, in Aclas. 


4) If I eat someone's heart, will I gain their powers? What about their brain?

     Heart, no, that just makes you a ghoul. Brain, yes! With the correct rituals, which are banned but practiced anyway. 


5) These classes are boring, can I be one from somewhere else? What about from a different system entirely?

    Sure, there's lots of other planets in Aclas' galaxy with different magic from their stars, and therefore completely different rules of reality. You might acclimate to the local magic, or you might die. Who knows. 


6) If I make a sword, which one of us gets to name it?    

    You. You made it. 


7) Am I allowed to kill the other player characters? What would I have to do to be allowed to? Do I win if I kill them all? Actually, how do I win in general?

   Kill whoever. You win by killing all the gods and becoming The Maker Regnant Returned, but don't tell anyone. 


8) What language stands in for 'Common'? Or what are we all talking to each other in? Like the party, mostly, but also everyone else?

    Kostari, or 'Trade Speak', crudely. It's common anywhere there's a lot of Trade. If you walk up into the hills and speak it they'll scoff at you for being a city slicker. 

An easy guideline is, wherever the trains go, so does Kostari. 


9) How do I learn how to talk to rocks? No not once a day just, like, normally?

     Appease a rock-spirit. You can do this by bringing a rock to a druid and demanding to speak to it's spirit. If you have an asshole rock, it'll ignore the Druid. If not, the rock-spirit will come out and ask for a sacrifice. If you appease it sufficiently (usually with metals, for a rock spirit) it will teach you Terran, the language of Stones, Metal and Machines. 


10) Which kinds of wizards get to serve kings and live in towers and shit and which ones are run out of town or stoned to death in the streets? Can I be both? At the same time?

    Those who practice 'Blue Magic' (Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, and Transmutation) get to live in towers and serve kings, no questions asked. 

Those who practice 'Red Magic' (Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy and Enchantment) are either in the army or run out of town and stoned to death. 

To be both at the same time is as easy as learning spells from both categories. Most wizards are both, and have lists of towns which they can't go to. 

1 comment: